Saturday, March 21, 2009

Originally sent June 2, 2008

I don't know about y'all, but I believe that you can find God in some off-the-wall places, if you are open to finding Him there. Last week I mentioned some silly nonsense about finding words from God in a Cher song. I'm sure you all thought I was nuts (well, ok, nuttier than usual) by that comment, but I was actually quite serious. Let me explain...

You see, when I go out walking in the early mornings, I always have my iPod with me. I also tend to talk to God during those walks. Believe it or not, I can focus through noise. Go figure. I'm was walking along one morning last week, having the joy of seeing both the moon and the sunrise in the course of about 15 minutes, and Cher comes on. Now, I love Cher. I have since I was a little girl watching "The Sonny and Cher Show". I got Sonny and Cher dolls for Christmas when I was about 5 and, um, I still have them.

Now, I realize this is Cher singing - she of the crazy outfits and extremely young boyfriends and a farewell tour that still hasn't ended after at least 5 years - and I have no clue who wrote the song, but it spoke to me, so I'm sharing with you.

This is a song for the lonely, can you hear me tonight?
For the broken hearted, battle scarredI'll be by your side
And this is a song for the lonely
When your dreams won't come true
Can you hear this prayer
Because someone's there for you

I listened and I thought about how the words were likely intended, but how they could also be open to interpretation. Because God is there for us, when we are scared and lonely and feeling like our dreams will never materialize. He is always there - we just have to be open to finding and accepting Him.

In my opinion, you never know where God is hiding. You can find Him anywhere I think, if you are looking or even listening. Because sometimes, y'know, He just shows up in a Cher song. And for those times, I am immensely grateful.

No comments: