Thursday, March 19, 2009

For the purposes of me archiving things and to share with anyone who might actually be reading this blog, I'm starting to put up some information that I have shared with the Singles ministry at my church in the past year.

December 28, 2008

************************

Congratulations! Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places! You're off and away!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

Taken from “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” by Dr. Seuss
Copyright © 1990 by Theodor S. Geisel and Audrey S. Geisel


Hey folks,

Sorry I did not get the weekly e-mail out earlier today, but today was my family Christmas time and, with all due respect, that was infinitely more important than anything else. Then, I was fortunate enough to have several hours to visit with an old friend from high school that I haven’t seen in years who lives in Delaware and he is leaving tomorrow, so time was of the essence there. But now I can settle in to get the weekly info out to you all.

I am always amazed by God’s timing. For those unaware, I was laid off from my job last week, effective February 2. I wasn’t the only one *pauses to wave to Matt* and I fully expect there will be more at my job. It’s scary. Heck, it’s terrifying! But you know what? God has a plan. I honestly believe that. I’ve been dissatisfied in my job for a long time and struggling with trying to be content there because I felt like that is how I should feel. I was always grateful to have a job though, even if it wasn’t my dream job. So I struggled and wasn’t sure which way to go.

About a week ago I prayed about how I can’t ever seem to step out on faith, which is what Kevin is doing by leaving his position with the Singles Ministry. Well, be careful what you pray for!! When I found out late Friday that I was being laid off, it was like a punch in the gut. I thought “Really? Me? Seriously? ME??” Yeah, it was me.

I'm sorry to say so but, sadly, it's true
and Hang-ups can happen to you.

You can get all hung up in a prickle-ly perch.
And your gang will fly on. You'll be left in a Lurch.

You'll come down from the Lurch with an unpleasant bump.
And the chances are, then, that you'll be in a Slump.

And when you're in a Slump, you're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.

Taken from “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” by Dr. Seuss
Copyright © 1990 by Theodor S. Geisel and Audrey S. Geisel


But after going through the grieving process like we talked about on Sunday morning (Shock, Denial, Sadness, Anger, and finally Acceptance), I really, truly am feeling ok about it all. God is in control. He has a plan for me. And for Matt. And for the other folks that were laid off last week at my job and all over the country. I’m not sure what His plans are for me, but I’m actually beginning to get excited in a way. It was easy to be content with having a good job and it was easy to put off looking for a new opportunity. Now, however, I don’t have a choice. I have to get out there and get going!

I’m still scared and if you ask me in about a month, I might not be having such a positive day. But I’m going to keep my faith and remember that God’s timing is never wrong. It’s always perfect. That doesn’t mean it has to make any sense to us though because as long a God is in control, it’s the right thing.

I still can’t say I’m any good with taking a step out on faith and God knows that. So I think He gave me a big ole SHOVE out on faith. Be careful what you pray for my friends, because you just might get it!! :o) So whether this is a step out or a shove out on faith, it’s what IS and I’m getting excited about what WILL BE in 2009. I ask for your prayers for me and for Matt and for folks everywhere losing their jobs. We can most definitely use it.

But on you will go though the weather be foul
On you will go though your enemies prowl
On you will go though the Hakken-Kraks howl
Onward up many a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak.

On and on you will hike and I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems whatever they are.

You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know.
You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3 / 4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU’LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

Taken from “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” by Dr. Seuss
Copyright © 1990 by Theodor S. Geisel and Audrey S. Geisel

No comments: