Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Song Remains the Same

I reclaimed a song today on my drive in to work. I know that sounds strange (as do many, many things that I say and do), but it's true.  There is a song that I really like, but it reminds me of a boy I knew *coughdatedbrieflycough* in high school.  And while high school is 20+ years ago (when the heck did that happen?!?) every time I hear the song I am reminded of That Boy.  Oh, there are other things that remind me of That Boy, but the song is at the top of the list. 

I actually got over most negative memories associated with That Boy years ago.  And when I see The Man that That Boy has become, part of me does still want to smack him upside the head for his overall stupidity as a teenage boy, but really, why bother?  The mere fact that the last time he saw me - and I know he saw me - he retreated to a far, dark corner is satisfaction enough.  :o)

But back to the song.  Listening to it this morning I thought to myself, "Self, don't let negative memories taint this song! It's a great song!" So I reclaimed it. I banished That Boy from having anything but a fleeting association with That Song.  And I was so happy about it that I hit the "back" button on my iPod 2 more times so I could keep listening to it as I finished the last few miles to the office.  Smiling the entire way.

No comments: