Saturday, February 6, 2016

How to look good naked

As I was getting ready this morning after my shower, I realized that somehow over the course of the past year, I've started to look good naked. Oh sure, I've lost a few pounds and that changes your body and makes a difference, but that's not all of it. These days I look at myself in the mirror and actually feel good about what I see. I think I look pretty good. Now, I'm not saying that anybody else would see my body the same way, but I'm also not necessarily offering anybody else the opportunity to give an opinion.

When I look at myself naked in the mirror, I'm no longer seeing all the fat. I don't see someone overweight (although the charts still say that at 5' 7" and 175lbs, I am). I bypass wishing my thighs were a little bit smaller or my belly didn't have a pooch. What I see are my toned shoulders, a defined collar bone, trim neck. I see where I've got definition in my waist and maybe, possibly even the hint of some definition in my abs. I see where my butt has gotten flatter (which I'm totally ok with!) and even if my hips haven't really gotten any trimmer, I can absolutely see the changes in my body.

Ok. Sure. I'm 44 years old and wish I had breasts more like so did when I was 24 (or like I believe I had when I was 24...I'm convinced they were once perky, but I have no actual recollection or proof of that), but barring any money appearing for me to have the girls lifted, nature has decreed that they are going to sag. But you know what? Looking in the mirror this morning I realized that it's ok. I still think they look good and hey, they are healthy and real! Perky is over-rated and you can fix that with a good push-up bra and some underwire anyway.

Believe me, getting to this point has been a long time coming. It's not something I ever would've done prior to some weight loss and it's not necessarily something I stand around doing all the time now. But when I look in the mirror and see myself without clothes on, I'm okay with it. This is HUGE. So very huge. I never wanted to look at myself naked in the past, but now you know what? I'm kinda proud! Because dammit, I earned this body. I've worked hard over the past year to get this body and I'm going to appreciate it and be proud of it.

So, how do you look good naked? Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it starts with looking in the mirror and making the choice to like what I see. Flaws and imperfections? I'm sure they are there, but I don't see them anymore because I choose not to. It's one of the best feelings in the world. I highly recommend it.

No comments: